Thursday 17 December 2020

Sewing a messenger bag!

 If you google Messenger bag sewing pattern online, you can probably find a lot of patterns and they are mostly free. I have made messenger bags in the past and they were self drafted and I didn't save the dimensions that i used cos i mostly winged it on the spot.

I had a pokemon fabric that I wanted to make into a messenger bag for my brother to go pokemon hunting with my mum. I already made my mum hers - it's a tote bag pattern from Winter Wear Designs.  But for my brother, I didn't think a tote bag would be good - hence messenger bag. (p.s. you can read more about that tote bag pattern here. It's a free pattern!)

Here's my mum's bag btw. Cute right! 

Anyway, so I found this blog post with a cute messenger bag pattern. What I liked about the pattern is that it is a Jpeg with GRIDS so i can download it and use my projector to project the pattern and rotary cut the pieces. 

I had to hack it a bit in order to use my directional fabric. But it wasn't too difficult! 

Here's the bag i made!


Isn't it cute? I checked with him already, he doesn't mind the kiddy print! yay! 

I hope he likes it! Hehe. The pattern is good and I really liked the overall size. It can definitely be used for A4 sized papers too so u can make it for school/work! (Reinforced first of course)

The pocket on the flap is very useful and i made it with an extra big pocket bag.

I think u can stuff loads of snacks in it if u want to hehe.


On the inside, I opted for a water resistant material with a nice textured look. I used a scrap piece of the main to create a pocket just the right size for an ezlink transport card (this is a card we use for public transport)

The pocket behind that is perfectly sized for handphones while the other pocket can fit a wallet with room to spare. 




No comments:

Post a Comment