Monday 9 November 2020

Zero Waste Patterns for kids.

If you have not heard of Zero Waste Patterns, start here

I recently had the opportunity to test for Thread faction's Zero Waste Collection and I was thrilled with the outfits I got for my little girl. 


What I didn't like about most Zero Waste patterns out there is that they used MORE fabric rather than less fabric to make an outfit that ends up fitting loosely and really heavy (too much fabric!) on the body. This Zero Waste collection is not like that! 

Here's what the designer of Thread Faction has to say about her Zero Waste Patterns:

As I have developed these patterns I have given myself some ‘rules’ to follow if you like. Guidelines to ensure that my zero waste designs are not just a gimmick but designs that you will genuinely use:

  1. All pattern pieces for a particular garment fit, without waste, into a rectangular shape. So, although this still creates 'waste' when compared to the width of the fabric, all off cuts are very usable rectangular pieces.
  2. I work hard to ensure that the zero waste version of the garment that I create does not use more fabric than making the same or very similar garment using the conventional pattern making method.
  3. I work hard to keep myself in check with regard to ‘using up’ extra pieces of fabric in the fabric puzzle. Ensuring that I am not just adding embellishments to ‘use up’ the extra fabric. If it is not useful or beautiful it has no business here.
  4. I am very mindful of choosing styles just because they are easier to create using the zero waste method. Asking myself ‘would I have chosen this silhouette if I were using a regular pattern making method?’
  5. Also I have tried to stay true to my regular pattern making mantra. I have tried to make the types of designs that my children wear every day. That are easy to make and easy to wear. Beginner level sewing patterns that are simple and gorgeous.
Indeed, I think she did do very well! Look at this georgeous Zero waste pair of long pants!


This is by far the most comfortable pair of wide legged woven pants she owns. If you have made pants before, you would know that there's curves to reckon with and don't forget the front AND back rise of pants are different in height. This pattern took all that into consideration and still managed to become a beautifully drafted Zero Waste PANTS. 


Oh I just love this one. =) 

I'll update this post as I make more from the Zero Waste Collection by Thread Faction. Meanwhile, if you would like to join me in making these, here's a list of everything they have so far:






No comments:

Post a Comment