Monday 20 July 2020

Because it is going to be National Day soon...

Every year on August 9th, Singapore celebrates National Day. 

If you don't know this already, I'm a teacher so every year, on National Day, I would always dress in the Nation's colors (Red and White) to celebrate our Nation's birthday with my students. 

But actually... Red isn't my color. Not really. I find that I tend not to wear red anything, but I mean, it's National day!

So this year, I'm really quite excited to be making my own red and white outfit. At least it's going to look nice and conform to my aesthetics 😆

I'm also incredibly lucky to be given to opportunity to be a guest sewist for Sew PDF Showcase. This is a really cool source of pdf patterns by small independent pdf companies. They showcase a pdf pattern every week and this week's PDF showcase is by Buttons and Bib! (this new pattern company is very promising! You should go check out their stuff - many of the dress patterns are lovely!) 

I shall be using their Summer Staple Dress for my National Day dress - yay~

This is a knit bodice, woven skirt dress and it's my first time ever putting woven skirts on knit bodices! I used clear elastic to gather the woven skirt - so easy! and then serged the bodice and skirt together after. 


This whole dress was ensembled in record time too. The woven fabric i used for the skirt is crepe so there's a lovely texture that contrasted very nicely with the stretchy, very smooth poly-spandex knit with a slight sheen that I bought in "wine red" that i used for the bodice. 


At first i was slightly concerned that if i attach a woven skirt on a knit bodice the waist area might not stretch enough to go over my head. But my concerns were unfounded as the clear elastic gathering method really helps ensure that the waist area is still very nice and stretchy and the waist is still cinched in enough to not look baggy. 



And yes... did i mention pockets? Pockets always! These pockets are huge! Big enough for my galaxy note! 

One interesting thing to note about this dress is, unlike many knit dresses, the waist actually has positive ease. That means everything there is nice and relaxed, not tight and figure hugging. Just thought some of us may appreciate a pattern like that for days when we are feeling bloated or perhaps... for BUFFET days where we aim to eat alot and don't want our tummies to feel restricted 😆😆😆

If you would like a good deal on this pattern it is now ON SALE. Only at Sew PDF Showcase for 1 week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment