Thursday 18 June 2020

Peppermint Swirl Dress by Candy Castle Designs



When I first discovered the pattern company Candy Castle Designs, Peppermint Swirl Dress was THE DRESS that caught my eyes. The twirl factor is amazing!!

I absolutely love how it looked and at the same time, if I am to be honest, I was too scared to try it initially cos it looked HARD.

But as I saw all the other beautiful peppermint swirl dresses, I took the plunge anyway. And I'm so glad I did!

I envisioned something very princessy pink and since I needed a lot of pink/purple colors, I got Kona cotton fabric from 2quilters who very very kindly curated this beautiful set of pinks and purple (they ship internationally!) for me.

Cutting it wasn't as difficult as I thought. I pinned the pattern pieces onto a stack of 4 colors, then cut directly with my fabric scissors, then repeat again for the next stack and so on. Cutting took me not even an hour to complete!

Next was putting the dress together. Most of the time, we always say never serge wovens right? But for this skirt, the instructions said serging was okay. Yay! And honestly, serging these skirt pieces together made the whole skirt construction go really fast! And look at how beautiful it is already!

Did you know that there's a free hack to make this into just a skirt instead of a dress? Best hack ever! (I did that too. Maybe I will talk about it in another post =p)

The hemming of the skirt was with bias tape and the bias tape really helped the skirt keep it's shape. If you use a pretty stitch like mine, it can also become part of the design!



Let's see some of the details of this dress shall we?





And here's the happy little girl wearing the dress for Chinese New Year celebrations. =)


Peppermint Swirl Dress girls: Bit.ly/CandyPSgirls
Peppermint Swirl Dress ladies: Bit.ly/CandyPSladies
Peppermint Swirl Skirt tutorial (free!): bit.ly/CandyPSS


No comments:

Post a Comment