Sunday 21 June 2020

Bags and bags galore - some of my old self-drafted works.

I often see sewists who say that they only sew garments cos bags are hard, or they would say they only sew bags cos garments are hard. I suppose it's really because garments and bags require different skill sets...

I tried sewing bags and while I like bag sewing, the interfacing, the precise measurements, the notion buying makes me think... bags are harder than garments! hahaha. That said, if I were to 'teach' a friend to sew, I would rather point them to a bag pattern than a garment one! =p

After sewing quite a few bags, I found that precision really matters in sewing bags, the seam allowances need to be followed strictly, the steps and the birthing. oh man, the birthing can be hard!

I started my bag making journey with a simple self drafted drawstring bag:




Then moved on to more complicated designs (also self drafted):



Then there was these:

   


All self drafted! But I must say, self drafting is difficult! and while it is fun to come up with the exact dimensions we need, the difficulty in imagining the bag in 3D and then breaking it down to 2D pattern pieces meant bag making is slow when u are self drafting.

Thankfully there are wonderful pdf bag patterns out there to use!

Like these:


These are made with a  FREE pattern i found on youtube! There's many free bag patterns on youtube which is great for beginners to start on! 

I realised with making bags is u have to get so many new notions and tools. One good way to save some money is to use stuff from the old bags u may have lying ard. For example, the hello kitty backpack actually reused all the buckles and rectangular rings from another old bag of my eldest that can't be used anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment