Tuesday 23 June 2020

Pattern testing - Seiri Bag

My first pattern test for bags is for the Seiri Bag by Porcupine Patterns



Why "seiri"? The pattern designer wrote that "The word Seiri is from 整理 in Japanese which translates to organize / put in order, which is the idea behind this bag."


And indeed, what's great about this bag is that there are 3 very very roomy compartments where I can stuff practically anything and everything into. 


I call it my doraemon bag and I've been using it ever since I finished testing it back in July 2019. 
Back then, I was still a stay-at-home mum and that bag was my essential day outing bag with kids. I stuffed it full of diapers and wet wipes, food and water bottles, nursing cover and tissues, my wallet, handphone, keys, umbrella... and it was able to hold everything! AMAZING. (This is the M size btw, there's also L which cld hold a laptop! and S which is petite but still holds ALOT!)

Let me show off some design elements I put into this bag:




The coolest thing about making my own bag is the fact that I am the one deciding everything, from pattern placement to inner pockets. I used a beautiful japanese keshiki design fabric and I loved the selvage design so much I knew I wanted to incorporate it into the bag somehow. Then I realised that using it as part of the zipper top wld be beautiful so that was what I did!

The zippers were actually very expensive jacket zippers that were oh-so-smooth to pull open and close. They were not cheap but I'm glad I used them cos they added a touch of 'posh' to the whole bag.

And I wasn't kidding about using this bag everywhere:



Here's the bag, on a beach!

One way of knowing that a pattern is good is whether the tester makes more. And well... I did make more... 3 more ~~~

Seiri Bag M and S sizes, outer compartment hacked to be non-zippered!

Seiri bag M size thick canvas (not recommended! Birthing was HARD!)

Hope you enjoyed seeing my Seiri Bag creations! And hope u will try making one too! 




No comments:

Post a Comment